|Mediaeval Religious Libraries|
1891 Science Laboratory built at Lonsdale House, Blake Street
Bridgwater British History Online gives
There was a reading room in the market house by 1830 which by 1840 had become the Literary and Scientific Institution. (fn. 11) By 1861 there were
reading rooms in St. John's Street, Taunton Road, and West Street, the first still in use in 1889. (fn. 12) By 1859 the Literary and Scientific Institution
had been moved to George Street where there was a museum 1861-75 and a reading room in 1875. (fn. 13) A reading room at the town hall by 1889
remained there until 1906 when the present library was opened in Binford Place. (fn. 14) The present museum, known as the Admiral Blake Museum,
was opened in Blake Street in 1926. (fn. 15)
11 Pigot, Nat. Com. Dir. (1830); Co. Gaz. Dir. Som. (1840).
12 P.O. Dir. Som. (1861); Kelly's Dir. Som. (1889).
13 Harrison, Harrod, & Co. Dir. Som. (1859); P.O. Dir. Som. (1861); Kelly's Dir. Som. (1875).
14 Kelly's Dir. Som. (1889, 1910).
15 Ibid. (1927); Som. C. C. Dir. Museums in Som. (1988).